Immigration Issues/Border Patrol

Mr. Mills,
I have read with interst about the Ranch Rescue, Minuteman and other vigilante operations in Texas and Arizona.  I wonder if it is legal for a citizen to arm himself, leave his own property to patrol the border and then detain individuals whom he believes may be illegal aliens.  

Thank you in advance for your time.

Mike Cunningham, Ph.D.--Psychologist

I believe that most of these people were patroling on privately owned land at the request of the landowner.  The landowner is protecting the property that they own from tresspassers.  The legality and scope of permissible intervention is a matter of state law and I am not qualified to comment as I am not licensed to practice law in any state that has a land border.  I am licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey and therefore can comment on Federal Immigration Law anywhere in the US.

James D. Mills, Esq.

I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.

I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997