Immigration Issues/COnvert f2 to h1


Hello Sir,

I am Indian by nationality. My husband is in US on F1.
Now, i also want to join him but not sure of H1(because of lattery system this year).
I came across F2 visa, but i am an Computer Engineer by profession so would like to continue working in US.

1. Please tell me if i can go on F2 since my husband is already on F1 in US?
2. Please tell me how long it would take for me to convert F2 to H1.
3. Also, is there any other way(or visa) that i can join my husband with/without wokring.

Waiting for your resopnse.

Thank U

Dear Rashmi:

You can join him on a F-2 visa. If you wish to convert from F-2 to H-1, you can only apply for it beginning next April and start working from Oct'08. I do not know of any other suitable visa for you to come in other than the F-2 visa in your situation.

Ramasamy Krishnan
Attorney at Law

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.