You are here:

Immigration Issues/Canadian Immigrating to US


Hi Robert,

My situation is fairly complex. My boyfriend is a US-born citizen, currently residing in Miami. I am a Canadian citizen and I wish to move to Miami. I currently have a job offer from a US employer, however, they do not offer a visa sponsorship program. They have no problem submitting any necessary paperwork, however, are unable to provide financial support for the visa. We do not wish to get married right away - we would prefer to actually live in the same place before making a lifetime commitment. Do we have any options? I know I am ineligible for a TN visa as I do not have a 4-year degree in my field of work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

He could file for a K-1 fiancee visa for you and you could come here and live together for up to 90 days before having to decide to marry or go back. When you come as a K-1 you get work permission for those 90 days and aals for after if you get married.

Otherwise as a Canadian you can enter for a visit of up to 6 months without needing a visa. However, you are not supposed to work on a U.S. payroll in this situation.



Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.