You are here:

Immigration Issues/Canadian citizen wanting to marry a US citizen.


I am currently a Canadian citizen and have met my fiancee online. We have met and spent an entire month together. My question is, what is the best and fastest way to go about entering the US and marrying my fiancee in such a way that will allow me to work and help support us financially? We have looked into an EAD and have found that it can take 90 days to be approved, 3 months with no work for myself would not be good. We want to start our lives and family together, however everywhere we look it is almost a year of wait times plus a wait to work.

It all depends on what you consider "fastest".  

If you can enter the US legally, and marry here, you can then make an application and get a temporary work authorization in less than 2 months.  Now the overall application will take more than 1 year, but while you are waiting you are living together, working, establishing your life here in the US.

The other option is through the consulate, which would mean you get married in Canada, and then petition through the State Deparment.

Best of luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.