You are here:

Immigration Issues/US and Canadian permanent residence


My wife and I have pending I-485 applied for through my employer. I'm currently on H1B and she is on F1-OPT and has approved H1B which will start from October 1st 2007. We have received our Advance parole but not the EAD's yet.

~3 years ago way before the green card application, we applied for canadian immigration. Now we got the documents and they will expire soon. We need to enter Canada and complete the immigration procedure quickly. However we look at this just as a backup in case our US green card didn't work out, otherwise we are planning on quickly coming back to the US as our lives and both our jobs are here.

I have 3/questions:

1- Since we're travelling on Advance parole, would there be any problem if we travel to Canada and back by car? I mean, do all border agents know about this document?

2-would this trip to canada and comleting the canadian immigration process harm our green card application in any way? would the US immigration officer/border office pick on that?

3- My wife is still on F1-OPT and her H1B won't start until October 1st 2007 and we have to make this travel before that date. Since we don't have the I-485 based EAD, would she have any problem with her work authorization?

We appreciate your answers and help very much.
God bless you.

Syavosh: The answers to your questions:
1) There will not be any problems the POE officers are well aware of this document.
2) I do not think so, since you intention is to become a permanent resident of the US. The canadians may have a problem with your intention though...
3) Entering the US on a advance parole will change her status form F-1 to a parolee, so she will not be able to work without an EAD.


Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]