Immigration Issues/Change of Employer


Organisation "A" has sponsored my green card as future employment while I was working with Organisation "B". After approval of green card I joined my sponsorer Organisation "A".
What is safe time limit, I should work with Organisation "A" in order to avoid future complication in "re entry Permit" or "Citizenship".
Is 5 months safe enough?
Your advice is appreciated.

You must work there "permanently".  However, "permanently" does not mean forever.  There is no safe number.  If you did not intend to work "permanently" when you got your green card then the job was not permanent and there could be problems.  It is fact specific but, generally, 6 months to 1 year was considered a fairly safe call.  There were considered to be some, minimal, risk of leaving after 6 months and leaving after 1 year was considered fairly safe.    

I can imagine situations where the person could be able to explain a departure after a month satisfactorily.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.