You are here:

Immigration Issues/Change of Status from H1b to F2


Hi ,
I am in the planning stages of converting from H1B to F2.
And I few queries:
1) Do I need to fill the Form I-539 and attach the marriage certificate and that is it ?
2) Does it matter how long you have been married ?
3) Do you also need to have joint accounts; or other proofs of marriage except the US marriage certificate ?
4) Does my Spouse ( F1 ) has fill something ?
5) My visa has expired and I am on a H1B approval and I am not planing to travel but will this make USCIS to grant me the change of status only if I get a visa ( I do not think so; one my friend said otherwise) ?

Thank you  

You need to submit I-539 with marriage certificte and proof of wife's F-1 status. It does not matter how long you have been married.They will not ask you for proofs to change status other than marriage certificate. Your spouse does not have to fill out anything. Once your I-539 is approved, you can stay here until she runs out of status. On your first trip outside the U.S. you need to go to the U.S. embassy in your country and get F visa stamp.



Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.