You are here:

Immigration Issues/Change of Status from OPT to B2



I am on a British passport and my OPT expired on Oct 1st 2007, I have 60 days to leave the country. I wish to extend my stay further, so can I file a B2 Visa? If not, what are my options till I can get on a H1B next year?

I had entered the country on a B2 Visa and then changed to F1 status in 2001.

Any suggestions/tips would be highly appreciated.


It may be possible for you to file a b2 but they may or may not approve and more likely they will not.  Another option would be for you to go back to school and apply for another f1 until you can get your H1b.  The third option would be for you to leave the country and come back.
Good luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.