You are here:

Immigration Issues/Change of Status from OPT to H1B


My OPT expired on July 31st and I got my H1B starting from Oct Ist. Since grace period is only 60 days, Pl. inform my options. Should I go to India and get stamped before Oct Ist? Can I go to Canada for stamping instead? or Can I stay here and start my work from Oct Ist?

Babu: There are not many options out there for you. I would suggest that you leave the country and reenter on H visa status. You can go to Canada and obtain the H visa, but you can enter only 10 days before the start date of your employment.

Ramasamy Krishnan
Attorney at Law
Ashley & Krishnan
9801 Westheimer, suite 302
Houston, TX 77042

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.