Immigration Issues/Changing J1 status


Dear Mark,

I am currently on J1 Trainee visa doing an internship in United States. My J1 is not a subject to 2 year rule. I am trying to change my status to stay and work in the US. This is actually my 4th J1 and I am in good standing with US Immigrations, since all 3 times I came back during required program dates and had no run-ins with the law. The only problem is that I cannot extend on J1, since it was issued for the maximum 18 month period. I have a Bachelor's degree in Marketing. So my question is, should I look for a company to hire me on a H1B status or are there any other options for me? Thank you so much!

I do not know enough from the facts that you have supplied to give you a thorough evaluation.  It does appear that an H would be a good fit for you.  However, there are no current H visas available for the current year and will only become available in October 2008.

I suggest that you schedule an appointment with an immigration attorney so that he can fully evaluate your case and credentials to give you an idea about your options.
Good luck.
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]