You are here:

Immigration Issues/Changing Student F1 visa to permanent (immigrant) resident status


Dear Mr. Hay,
I studied at a high school in the US on a J1 visa in 2003/2004 and went back to Europe, Czech Republic. Now, I was accepted to NCSU University and have been issued a F1 status. I am eager of becoming a proud US Citizen. My visa, though, is to expire in 2011. That is over 4 years - time for college. Is there any way I could change my F1 status to a permanent resident status, so I would get a social security number and after a few years could apply for citizenship? It is too long to wait till 2011 for me.
I most appreciate Your answer, by the way, my dad is also a lawyer, so I am glad I could ask You.
Wish You all the Best in the future :)
Andrew Sadlik

I don't know right off the top of my head of any way to be come a US citizen from your current status.  What needs to happen first is that you become a Permanent Resident, and this is not automatic. You have to either receive a job opportunity that qualifies, or you have to marry a US citizen.  

Best of luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.