Immigration Issues/Changing employer while on GC process

Question
Hi Ajay,
I'm currently working for company A and may change to work for company B. I just got my H1-B renewed for the 2nd 3 year term and have been in the green card (GC) application process for 3 years; more specifically, I have not yet got the labor certificate (LC) approved. My questions are:
1)My understanding is that I can start to work for B as soon as they file a transfer of my H1-B. Correct?
2)If I change the employer, will my GC process sponsored by Company A be nullified? If yes, does that mean Company B has to sponsor my GC starting from the very beginning again? If so, what happens when I come to the end of the 6th year with my H1-B but the LC has not yet approved?

Thanks very much for your advice.
Bob

Answer
Hi Bob,

You can work for Co. B as soon as the company files an H-1B petition for you; you do not need to wait for approval before joining Co. B.

Your GC process through Co. A will be nullified as soon as you leave Co. A. (Actually, in theory the process can continue if Co. A is still willing to offer you a full-time job in the future, but you will need the support of Co. A for this, and Co. A is unlikely to help you if you are leaving Co. A).

On the assumption that Co. A will not assist you continuing the existing GC process when you leave the company, Co. B must start the GC process from the beginning through the filing of a LC. You can extend H-1B status beyond six years as long as the LC is filed at least one year before you complete six years in H-1B status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora