Immigration Issues/Changing visa Status


Hi, my name is Barbara. I'm Brazilian and holding a JI visa. In my passport it says that "the bearer is not subject to section 202(E).Two year rule does not apply. "
My visa will expire in Feb. 2006 and I've been sending resumes to airline companies in order to be hired as a flight attendant.If one of these companies decide to hire me what should I do concerning my visa status? How can I change my the JI to HI? Am I eligible to do so?I don't have a degree yet.
How long does it take to change the status of my visa?

Thank you very much.

If you are not subject to the 2 year home residency requirement, you should be eligilbe to change to H-1B status.  The forms for this proceedure are about 20 pages long so it is far too complex to descripe here (I have a 1200 or so page book that has been written on the subject).  You need to have a degree, or the equivalent of a US Bachelor's degree, to qualify for an H-1B visa.  Additionally, all H-1B numbers for fiscal year 2006 have been exhausted.  It would be impossible to apply for an H-1B with a start date before October 1, 2006 at this point unless the company is exempt or you hold a Master's Degree or higher from a U.S. University.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.