Immigration Issues/Citizen

Question
Dear Mr. Ajay

I am getting ready to apply for citizenship.

In the past 5 years i have stayed out of US only once for 231 days.(beyond 6 months)
I did have a bank account and DL during my stay out. I was finishing my education in India.
I do not have any other documents to show my continuity since i did not own any property as i was a dependent.

I am applying based on the INS criteria of applying after 4 years and 1 day after the break in continious residence.
Am i eligible?
Should i include an explanation letter of my stay out with my application?
Thanks a lot

Answer
Hi Soumil,

You are eligible since the one stay outside the U.S. was for less than one year.

Do not bother with any explanation at time of filing the N-400 application, but at time of interview be prepared to show that you did not truly abandon your residence in the U.S. during your absence. For ex., you can show evidence that you were finishing your education in India, that your parents were in the U.S. and you were a dependent, that you registered for selective service (if applicable), that you had a bank account or an automobile or any other evidence of ties to the U.S. during your absence.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora