You are here:

Immigration Issues/Citizenship application


My GC is dated 12/29/02. From Sept 05 till Apr 07 I was back home  undergoing some treatment. I had 2 really long absences. One of 5 months and the other of 4 months. I kept coming back for a week or two in between. After my treatment I returned to the US in April 07 permanently.

On the citizenship application there is a question about residence and  employment. Should I give the address(es) where I stayed back home?

If they ask, yes. However, residence is where you call home. If your home was here in the USA, and you visited abroad without the intention of abandoning your residence, then you were only visiting. You do not need to give the address of places you visited unless you intended to reside there.  Although you were gone for some long periods, it sounds like returned often, so you really were not gone that long. You will need to add up your time.

I really think you need to get an attorney to help you with this. Your case is a little more complicated than the average case, and you do not seem to understand the concepts. It is nice to try to go to the internet to get answers, but you are not going to learn enough to avoid simple mistakes which may prejudice your application.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.