Immigration Issues/US Citizenship, greencard revocation

Hello Mr. Mills,

My question is regarding the status of my girfriend, Ada. She is an immigrant from China and has recently been informed her greencard and visa have been revoked. Here are the facts:

Age 28, works full-time, pays taxes, has a SSN and valid drivers license.

Married a US citizen in China 5-1/2 years ago. Her husband came back to the US while her papers were being processed. When she did finally come here her husband abandoned her.

2 years later INS scheduled a follow-up interview which she attended but had no proof of her husband's whereabouts and could not prove cohabitation.

Her attorney wrote several letters to the INS with her marriage certificate, pictures and both his and her passport copies.

6 months ago INS sends a letter stating her visa and greencard have been revoked due to "no proof" of a real marriage.

Before she spends any further $$ trying to get this fixed can you advise as to what her current situation is? Will she be deported? Is there any other way for her to get a valid visa without getting married to a US citizen?

Thanks for your expertise and time,
Lance  :)

If her GC has been revoked I am surpised that she is not already in removal proceedings.  Without reviewing the file I can't be usre what, if anything, can be done.  Since she has an attorney she should consult with that attorney.  If she is looking for another attorney she should schedule a consultation.  In-depth analysis of a case of this nature is not something that can be done here.  I would probably need to spend an hour reviewing the entire file and another hour discussing the situation with her to adequately explain the situation and her options.

I would not wait though since the situation will become far more difficult if she is placed in removal proceedings.

James D. Mills, Esq.

I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.

I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997