Immigration Issues/DV 2007 and Adjustment of Status

Question
Thank you so much, will you mind to give detail or some steps I should follow-
Apply Adjustment of Status by 10/1/06
then how should I "enlist a lawyer or Congressman to stay on top of it" and wthat is NY DVS ?

Thanks
-------------------------

Followup To

Question -
Thanks Robert, but my concern is about time limit of DV program, as that has to be filled up by September 2007. As I mentioned earlier, Chicago office takes almost 16 months to take decision, if they fail to process by Spetember 2007 should we still eleigeble for Green Card? Or does INS process AOS for DV program differently? Thanks again for your response.
-------------------------

Followup To

Question -
Recently, my wife has recieved Selection letter of 2007 DV. She is now in F1-OPT Status, and I am in H1B status. If we apply for Adjustment of Status, how long it might take? DV Visa has to be filled up by October1 2006 to Sep 30, 2007. I checked the INS web site and found that as of June 13 2006 Chicago office (we live in Illinois) is processing the cases  with application received date of February 15th, 2005. What is your opinion? Thanks. I appreciate your reply.

Answer -
You can not file until 10/1/06 at the earliest. Once filed you do not need to maintain any other status anymore and can get a work permit based ont he adjustment filing.

Robert

Answer -
That has to be a misprint - cases filed in February 2005 would be denied as a matter of law on October 1, 2005. You should file 10/1/06 if possible and then enlist a lawyer or Congressman to stay on top of it. Here in NY DVS are expedited as it gets closer to the end of the September. I am sure they have a similar program in IL.

Robert  

Answer
NY DVS is short for DV lottery adjustments filed in NY where I practice. You can hire a lwayer to file it for you and stay on top of it or you can file it and then hire a lawyer to stay on top of it or you can contact your local Congressman to write a letter to Immigration on your behalf, once the case is filed in October and you are fingerprinted, so that your interview is expedited.

The info yopu are reading is the waiting time for a non DV adjustment - they prioritze lottery cases because they expire.

Robert  

Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>