You are here:

Immigration Issues/My Daughter Emily Brown's Immigration


Good morning

I am a Citizen of US as of March '05 and married to a native American.  We were advised by an immigration officer that my daughter (27 years old) would be eligible to come and live with me.  She arrived April 25 '05 leaving her job in London working for the Crown Prosecution Service as Correspondent and selling her flat and car.  We filed all the relevant forms to Chicago only to find out yesterday that indeed the information provided was incorrect!  We must now first file I-130 and also I-539 in order to have her visa (hopefully extended).  I am so worried they will deport her.  Is there anything further I can do?  From a worried mother.

Kind regards
Jennie Milne-Woods

She probably entered on the visa waiver program and therefore is ineligible to change status in the US.  The wait time before she is eligible to file an I-485 to adjust to green card status is currently about 4 years, assuming that she is not married.

Never trust the advice on an immigration officer.  They are not attorneys and they are not licensed or qualified to provide legal advice.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.