Immigration Issues/Deportation Fears

Question
Hello, my fiance is from Canada, she has been here in Virginia with me for 9 months now. She didnt need a Visa or green card to get here, just proof of Canadian citizenship. We cant marry yet because she is in the process of a divorce from a very abusive husband which further emphasizes the reason for her not wanting to return to Canada. My main question is, on average, how much of a priority is it for INS to seek out and deport Canadians simply for an overstay. She has done nothing wrong and is a great person. How afraid should we be of deportation. Please advise because we are paranoid beyond belief! Thanks so much, Stan

Answer
Hi Stan,

The probability of deportation for a Canadian citizen is practically nil as long as she does not get arrested for something else.

When you do get married, after your fiance's divorce, your wife (she will be your wife at that time) can adjust status in the U.S. to permanent resident status without having to leave the U.S. In other words, anyone who enters the U.S. legally (even if they overstay their permissible period of stay) and marries a U.S. citizen can adust status in the U.S. without any problems.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora