Immigration Issues/Desicion I need to take

Question
I have a Girl Friend that is going to have a child of mine. I came to this country at the age of 2. I have all my studies at this country including some College, but I still don't have papers not even a work permit. If i get marry with this women that is a citizen of this country, what then can I do or go, to get started on getting at least a work permit. IRS? how,when ?

Answer
HI,

If you entered the U.S. legally, then marriage to a U.S. citizen (even if you overstayed your visa status) would allow you to adjust status in the U.S.

However, if you entered the U.S. illegally, and no immigrant petition has been filed for you prior to May 01, 2001, then you would be unable to adjust status in the U.S. In this situation, you would need to wait until sec. 245(i) is extended to allow persons who entered the U.S. illegally to adjust status. The last deadline was an immigrant petition being filed on April 30, 2001. Sec. 245(i) has not been extended since, and we do not know when it will be extended.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora