Immigration Issues/Effect of Canada landing

Question
Sir:

I recently got my passport stamped with my I-551 US green card. I was also approved a while ago for Canadian Permanent Resident Visa - however, i never landed in Canada.

I was thinking of landing in Canada for a few days to preserve the Canadian Permanent Resident Visaas a backup. I doNOT intend to move to Canada, get a job there etc.

1) Do you think I would have problems going to Canada or more importantly, coming back to the US?

2) On your way back to the US, willINS ask you about my status in Canada? What is the best way to handle such a question?

3) Before getting the US Green Card, I have been working for over 6 years on an H-1B in the US - paying taxes as a resident, renting an apartment etc - and I intend to keep working in the US

can the INS technically revoke your green card based on landing in Canada?

I would greatly appreciate any advice you could give me. I am a little confused about what to do right now. As I mentioned, I only intend to make this one trip to Canada to preserve the Canadian PR (Canada's rules are very liberal).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Answer

You can travel anywhere in the world with the I-551 stamp. You will have no problem traveling to Canada and back to the U.S. unless you stay in Canada for more than six months at one time.

You will not be asked upon entering the U.S. what you were doing in Canada (unless you remain in Canada for more than six months, in which case the query in the U.S. at the border would be whether you have "abandoned" your residence in the U.S.) Traveling for less than six months is not a problem.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora