Immigration Issues/English


In order for a person to become a naturalized citizen of the United States, does he/she have to speak, read and write English? Thank you for your response. Al Brown

Yes.  Plus he or she needs to have a competent understanding of American History.  The only exception to this rule is older people who have been in the USA for a long time. I forget what the age needs to be, but I believe they need to be over 55 and have been in the USA over 25 years???  It has been over 10 years since I handled one of these cases and I am a little foggy.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]