You are here:

Immigration Issues/Enrollment in US Armed Forces


Can I volunteer and be recruited in the US Armed Forces with out being a US Citizen? I am 27, Mexican with a B1/B2 Visa. I am here in the US temporarily with a valid I-94. I am hesitant to go to a Recruiting Office and ask directly, which I know I should.

Thank you for your time

Well they would know. My experience suggests that you cannot join.  You need to first be a resident alien.  The reason is that the US Constitution contains a term that gives automatic citizenship to anyone who serves for 6 months in the US army during wartime.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.