Immigration Issues/Expired B-2 Visa


I have a couple questions if I may.
1. My wife and I are going through the immigration process now and here is our situation. She came here on a B-2 Visa when she was 10 with her parents. The visa has since expired so what are the problems we'll face. I've read that people that come here "illegally" usally have a harder time. She came here legally but is now illegal because of the expired Visa.
2. My wife's sister/my sister in-law came with my wife and their family on the same now expired visa. She was 5 when they came, and she just now turned 18 and cannot do anything. The state I live in (Tennessee) has been making it hard for "illegal" people to get anything. Is there anything that my sister in-law can do to help her status? I know the USCIS doesn't care that she was brought here at the age of 5 by her parents, but I am just trying to find something that may help the situation because the girl has lived here the majority of her life. Thanks for any info you can provide.

What is your status???  That is the real issue.  Are you a US citizen?

I suggest you read up on the subject, or hire an immigration attorney familiar with family law issues.  This is too complicated to be able to answer without a great deal more information, and this is not right place to deal with that.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.