Immigration Issues/F-1 Expiry and H1-B status

Hello, could you tell me what my options are after my OPT expires. I am currently on an F-1 visa and my OPT expires on 1st June 2008 and my employer is interested in applying for an H1-B visa for me. However, this means that I cannot start working again till 1st october 2008. What would my options be if I do not want to leave the USA? How can I extend my F-1 status and what is the shortest period that I can get an F-1 extension for? Thank you.

You can reapply for an F and enroll in school to fill the gap between OPT expiration and H beginning.  You could find an H exempt job that does not have cap issues.  You could also leave the country and then come back once eligible under the H provisions.  These are the three main choices.  If you would like to explore additional options, I would suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney to find the best solution for your case.
Good luck,
Mark Ashley

Mark Ashley

Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

American Jurisprudence Award recipient