Immigration Issues/F-1 Expiry and H1-B status

Question
Hello, could you tell me what my options are after my OPT expires. I am currently on an F-1 visa and my OPT expires on 1st June 2008 and my employer is interested in applying for an H1-B visa for me. However, this means that I cannot start working again till 1st october 2008. What would my options be if I do not want to leave the USA? How can I extend my F-1 status and what is the shortest period that I can get an F-1 extension for? Thank you.

Answer
Namita,
You can reapply for an F and enroll in school to fill the gap between OPT expiration and H beginning.  You could find an H exempt job that does not have cap issues.  You could also leave the country and then come back once eligible under the H provisions.  These are the three main choices.  If you would like to explore additional options, I would suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney to find the best solution for your case.
Good luck,
Mark Ashley
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Mark Ashley