You are here:

Immigration Issues/F-1 Expiry and H1-B status


Hello, could you tell me what my options are after my OPT expires. I am currently on an F-1 visa and my OPT expires on 1st June 2008 and my employer is interested in applying for an H1-B visa for me. However, this means that I cannot start working again till 1st october 2008. What would my options be if I do not want to leave the USA? How can I extend my F-1 status and what is the shortest period that I can get an F-1 extension for? Thank you.

You can reapply for an F and enroll in school to fill the gap between OPT expiration and H beginning.  You could find an H exempt job that does not have cap issues.  You could also leave the country and then come back once eligible under the H provisions.  These are the three main choices.  If you would like to explore additional options, I would suggest that you consult with an immigration attorney to find the best solution for your case.
Good luck,
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.