Immigration Issues/F-1 to H-1B and travel

Question
Hello Sir

I will be graduating with my masters on aug 31st 2006. I have a job offer and my company has applied for my H-1B visa to start from 1st Oct 2006. I am planning to travel to India from 26th July to 23rd august. Since the application of my H-1B is already in progress, will there be any problems while re-entering the US.

Thanks,
Tahir Khan

Answer

I do not recommend traveling while H-1B is pending. If you try to enter on your F-1 visa on 23 Aug., you may be denied entry into the U.S. since you must show "nonimmigrant intent" each time you enter.

Hopefully your H-1B will be approved by the time you travel abroad so that you can apply for H-1B visa at a U.S. Consulate in your home country. Alternatively, you can request that your H-1B petition be converted to premium processing so that approval takes place within 2 weeks of conversion (by paying additional filing fee of $1,000 to USCIS) which will similarly allow you to apply for H-1B visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora