Immigration Issues/F-1 to J-1 to H-1B

Question
Mr. Arora,

I started working 2 weeks back and was in the process of applying for H-1B visa when I came to know that the cap for year 2006 has been filled. I am on OPT now and would like to know if I can apply for a J-1 visa. If yes, how do I apply for the same (what documents does the company need to prepare)?. Also, what determines the two-year home residence requirement on the J-1 visa?
Is it possible to transfer from F-1 to J-1 to H-1B? How long does it generally take to obtain J-1 visa?

I would really apprecitae any suggestions and advice.
Thank you.

Answer

You can be sponsored for J-1, but you must be sponsored by an organization authorized to issue Form DS-2019 (such as a university). The sponsoring organization can tell you if you will be subject to the 2-year home country requirement. Information about the J-1 visa category is here: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1267.html

Allow about 3 or 4 months after filing for approval.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora