Immigration Issues/F-1 Visa

Question
Hello,
My brother-in-law wants to come to NY to do graduate degree work at Baruch.  He has to fill out a form that lists how he plans on paying for his stay here.  One of the categories is Room and Board.  We are going to supply him with that, but his brother was concerned about letting immigration know that he is his brother.  Is it ok to list a relative in the US for student visa purposes or does that make it seem like he will stay past the visa?

Thanks for all of your help

Answer
Hi Kimberly:

The nonimmigrant visa application form that is being completed by your brother-in-law specifically asks if the applicant has a brother or sister in the U.S. This question must be answered truthfully. It should not affect the application for a student visa if he answers that he will save money by rooming with his brother.

I am assuming that your husband is in valid immigration status, since if he is not in valid immigration status his brother's application for student visa will indeed be negatively affected.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com  

Ajay K. Arora