Immigration Issues/F-1 filing for AOS

Question
I will be getting married to a US citizen. I am currently in good status. Do I have to continue school after marriage? If I choose to not return to school the next semester, how long after marriage must I file for 1-485? Do I need to send a check with my forms or can I first wait for a response? Finally when my passport was printed they made a typo in my first name ie. June in my passport and my birth certificate says Jane. I have been using June since that is the name in my passport. Will this cause a problem in my AOS and how can I explain this to USCIS?

Answer
Hi Jane,

After marriage to a U.S. citizen, your husband will file the appropriate paperwork (which includes I-130 and I-485, among other forms) with the USCIS, which can be obtained by calling 1-800-375-5283.

As soon as the paperwork has been filed (it can be filed anytime after marriage as there is no deadline), you can discontinue being a student if you wish to do so.

I recommend obtaining a new passport with the correct name, or else correcting the name on the current passport, by contacting your country's consulate in the U.S. Use the name Jane on all USCIS paperwork from now on since that is your actual name.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora