Immigration Issues/F1 to H1

Question
Hello,

I am currently on F1 and will be graduating with a Ph.D. on Sep 28. I have done my MS from the US as well. My H1B got approved recently, with validity from 01 Oct 2006. When is the earliest that I can  get my H1B stamped in India? In particular, do I need to wait until I get my Ph.D. degree? Also, is it possible to go to Canada before Oct to get my visa stamped? If yes, when would be the earliest I can do so?

Thanks much.

ps: I found your answers on the forum very helpful!

Answer

You can go anytime for stamping either in India or Canada (assuming that you are able to make the appointment), but you will be unable to enter the U.S. more than 10 days prior to October 01, 2006.

You do not have to complete Ph.D. degree, although I recommend that you maintain F-1 status until you go for stamping, or until Oct. 01 (whichever is earlier).

The following websites are helpful: http://amcits.com/nvars.asp and https://www.vfs-usa.co.in/Home.aspx

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora