Immigration Issues/F1 to H1B


Dear Sir,
I am a graduate student planning on graduating in spring 2008 in US. My OPT will start sometime in May 2008. I am planning on taking up internship in spring and continue job on my OPT in May. I want to file my H1B in April 2008 which is a month before I get my masters certificate. I want to know if I can apply for H1B with my certificate pending.I have come to know that I can still file my H1B  by providing a letter from University assesting the completion of course and by sending certificate later. IS that true?.
Thank you very much.


Yes you can file for your H-1B prior to obtaining your diploma. You would need a letter from the Dean or responsible officer a letter stating that you have completed all the requirements towards obtaining the degree.

Ramasamy Krishnan
Attorney at Law

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.