Immigration Issues/F1 and Marriage


Is it possible for an F1 student to marry an American?
Does that automatically disqualify him from F1 status?
Is he able to gain a different status if he loses F1?

No, there is no bar on an F1 student marrying a US Citizen. In fact there are many advantages. Once your US citizen spouses petitions for you, you can get a work permit while waiting for the visa application to process.  Also, although not immediately, if you are going to a state school, once you establish your residence, and live a certain amount of time in-state, you get the in-state tuition rate.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.