Immigration Issues/F1 - OPT

Question
Hi Ajay -

I've just received my OPT. I want to form and LLC and run it but not obtain any form of benefits/compensation from it until I obtain the right authorization (for e.g. a Green Card). Is this possible, or am I still viewed as 'employed'. Thank you.

D.

Answer
Hi Dhruva,

Although you can open a company, you cannot receive a salary or even be involved in "actively managing" the company without employment authorization. Since OPT is employment authorization, there should be no problem with running the company during the active period of your OPT.

There is never any restriction in being a "passive investor", e.g., owning stocks, bonds, etc.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora