Immigration Issues/F1 to marriage

Question
Hi, I am a Spanish citizen on an F1 Visa currently taking my first semester at College. I have been dating my girlfriend for 3 years now and she is a US citizen. We are planning on getting married in 2008. I would like to know if after getting married I am going to be eligible for a green card. If yes, do you know how long does it take and wether I would have to go back to my homeland while they process the permanent residency? Also, can I stop studying once I get married and then when I receive my green card continue studying? Will the marriage cancel my F1 and get me in trouble with my VISA, or it will be even make me eligible to to work and study while waiting for the green card?

Thank you Ajay.

Best regards,

Martin M.

Answer

Once you are married to a U.S. citizen, you can be sponsored by your spouse and will receive employment authorization (to allow you to work) as well as advance parole document (to allow you to travel) until the sponsorship paperwork is approved, at which point you will be given resident status in the U.S. Allow about one year to obtain resident status after sponsorship paperwork is filed. Once the sponsorship paperwork is filed, you no longer have to maintain F1 status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora