You are here:

Immigration Issues/F1 student and arrest


I am an F1 student married to a Citizen for 5mths now. My husband is abt to send off the I485 form, but I was arrested and spent 9hrs in jail for slapping him with a plastic on his arm(wasn't serious, just a scratch). I wasn't charge nor  went to court, they just sent me home. My husband said they discriminated agianst me based on the remarks that the police officer said. Would this prevent me from getting my Green Card? Do we need a lawyer? Can we write a letter and attach it to I485 explaining the arrest telling them about all that the police said?

Thank you

Usually, just getting arrested would not pose a problem in the adjustment of status issue.  As long as you have not been convicted of the crime.  You should disclose this information on the forms that you file where appropriate.  I would suggest that you hire an attorney to fill the forms correctly as your explanation is not sufficient.
Good Luck
Mark Ashley

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Mark Ashley


Business Immigration. My practice focuses on representing researchers, scholars, and other advanced degree professionals with filing NIW, EB-1,O-1, H-1, L-1 petitions. I am a founding partner in the immigration law firm Ashley & Krishnan,


18 years as a practicing attorney.

Member of AILA

JD from St. Mary's University, Texas.

Awards and Honors
American Jurisprudence Award recipient

©2017 All rights reserved.