Immigration Issues/F2 to F1 conversion


My husband is in the US on F1 status. If I apply for F2 status, how easy is conversion to F1 status later on? Is there a stipulated waiting time before applying for conversation from f2 to f1? Is it more advisable to directly apply for F1 instead?

Changing to F-1 should not be too difficult, you need to have an I-20 and documentation of financial support to obtain an approval.  There is no stipulated time period to apply as long as the school accepts you.

Ramasamy Krishnan

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]