Immigration Issues/Family Immigration

Question
Hi ,

I am a US citizen and my husband is a permanent resident originally from England.  We would like to bring his father and step-mother (they've been married 10 years) over to live here in the US.  Is it possible for me to petition for them or will my husband have to petition for citizenship and then petition for them?  Also, in the forms I read you could not apply for a stepparent if they were married after the child's 18 birthday which is the case for my husband's stepmother.  In that case would we have to petition for his father and then have his father petition for his wife? They are elderly and have some health issues and my husband has no brothers/sisters to help care for them in England.   Is there any special compensation for this?  Any info would be helpful.  Thank you.

Answer
Q1. Is it possible for me to petition for them or will my husband have to petition for citizenship and then petition for them?

A1.  Your husband needs to petiton for his parents and to do that he must be a US Citizen himself.

Q2.  Also, in the forms I read you could not apply for a stepparent if they were married after the child's 18 birthday which is the case for my husband's stepmother. In that case would we have to petition for his father and then have his father petition for his wife?

A2.  Right.  He cannot file for his stepmother if she married his father after your husband became 18 years old.

James D. Mills, Esq.