Immigration Issues/Family Petition

Question

I am from the Philippines and currently here on a visitor visa. I am trying to find a way to stay legally by applyng for jobs but unfortunately,the companies I have encountered are not willing to sponsor me.Right now, i am trying to look at my other options that's why I would like to ask some questions.My Aunt is a US Citizen and she petitoned my Dad and our whole family with the priority date of April 16,1985. My questions are:
1. I am now 29 yrs old,still single,would I still be eligible should the petition be current?
2. If I am,since I am already here in the US, and has a pending petition,would it be possible that I be granted a work permit?
3. I have a sister who is a Green Card holder,would it be possible for her to co-sponsor the petition to make things faster?
3. I am looking at the possibility of studying,can I mention this when I request for an extension of stay?I'm allowed to stay here until the end of September.

Thank you very much,

Romy
Ashburn,VA

Answer
Hi Romy,

You are 21 or over, so you cannot be included with your family's case.

Your sister can sponsor you only when she is a U.S. citizen. Sponsorship by itself, however, will not allow you to remain legally in the U.S. since you need to maintain valid underlying nonimmigrant status to continue to remain in the U.S. At the same time, you cannot keep extending visitor status for the next 10 or 15 years, for example). The following webpage from our website is helpful in understanding the family categories: http://www.h1b1.com/sponsor.htm

It is not possible to change from visitor to student status within the U.S.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora