You are here:

Immigration Issues/Fiance/marriage immigration


Thank you for your time in reading this.  I am an American citizen.  I have a Canadian fiance and am wondering what is the quickest and/or easiest way to get him here and have it so he can work.  I was told to get married and then get a k-1 visa, then adjust his status once he gets here.  I guess I don't understand the flow.  I would be more than grateful for any advice.
Have a great day,
Melissa Loidolt

The K-1 is a fiance visa and therefore you would apply, get an approval, and your fiance would enter the US before you marry.  You then would need to marry within 90 days of his US entry.  There may be other ways for him to enter but the intent to marry a US citizen is incompatible with entry in certain visa status.  

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


James D. Mills, Esq.


I can answer questions regarding business and family immigration, deportation, removal, exclusion, the immigration consequences of crimes and structuring criminal cases to eliminate or mininize immigration consequences.


I have been a licensed immigration attorney and a member of the American Immigration Lawyer's association for more than five years.

American Immigration Lawyer's Association.

Juris Doctorate, Rutgers School of Law- Camden, 1997

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]