You are here:

Immigration Issues/Fiancee/holiday visas


I'm a British citizen engaged to a US citizen and read with interest your advice to another user to get married on a holiday visa rather than taking the traditional K-1 approach.  If a couple took this route, are the immigration authorities likely to ask difficult questions in retrospect about why the immigrant quit their job before going on holiday to the US (I have to give a months' notice) and where they got their wedding dress from at such short notice or are they unlikely to look this deeply into it? Also, you mentioned that once the couple have been married, the immigrant spouse can apply for a temporary work visa. How long does this take to be processed? I am a professional in a competitive industry and I don't want to have a long gap between leaving my last job and starting a new one.

When you enter the country on the Wavier visa DO NOT TELL THE IMMIGRATION THAT YOU ARE COMING TO GET MARRIED.  Just say you want to visit the US, see the Mickey Mouse, the Empire State Building, whatever.  Then get married.  Once married your spouse petitions for you, and while waiting you can apply for a temporary work visa.  I have stopped telling people how long since the times change with every application, and I tire of looking stupid. It takes as long as it takes.

Good luck.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.