Immigration Issues/Fiancee/holiday visas

Question
I'm a British citizen engaged to a US citizen and read with interest your advice to another user to get married on a holiday visa rather than taking the traditional K-1 approach.  If a couple took this route, are the immigration authorities likely to ask difficult questions in retrospect about why the immigrant quit their job before going on holiday to the US (I have to give a months' notice) and where they got their wedding dress from at such short notice or are they unlikely to look this deeply into it? Also, you mentioned that once the couple have been married, the immigrant spouse can apply for a temporary work visa. How long does this take to be processed? I am a professional in a competitive industry and I don't want to have a long gap between leaving my last job and starting a new one.

Answer
When you enter the country on the Wavier visa DO NOT TELL THE IMMIGRATION THAT YOU ARE COMING TO GET MARRIED.  Just say you want to visit the US, see the Mickey Mouse, the Empire State Building, whatever.  Then get married.  Once married your spouse petitions for you, and while waiting you can apply for a temporary work visa.  I have stopped telling people how long since the times change with every application, and I tire of looking stupid. It takes as long as it takes.

Good luck.

Alexander J. Hay