Immigration Issues/Fleeing a country...

This question might not be able to be answered, but I'll ask it anyway. I recently watched a show on National Geographic called "Banged Up Abroad". Two British men were coaxed into smuggling 22lbs of cocaine back home from Venezuala and were caught at the airport in Venezuala and sentenced to 10 years. Long story short, they got day passes eventually and fleed to Columbia and flew home to England. I'm just wondering how they were able to come back home without any more jail time, as they both got jobs after they came home?

I am not 100% sure what you mean???  They were convicted in Venezuela.  Not the UK. Now if they go back to Venezuela they are going to have some hard questions to answer to a judge, but in the UK they have not been convicted of anything.  Why should they be in jail in the UK?  Now Venezuela can attempt to extradite them, but under UK law they will have to prove that the conviction was just and fair.

Alexander J. Hay

I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".

I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar