You are here:

Immigration Issues/From Full-time to external consultant in the same company


Hi, I currently have an H1-B visa sponsored by my employer.  I would like to know if I can work as an external consultant for the same employer that sponsored my VISA.  The idea is to work now part-time for the same employer, and that only can happen if I become an external consultant, no longer a salaried, full-time, employee.  Is that possible? How can I do it though some other way?

Dear Carlos:

You cannot work as an external consultant on your H-1B visa. You can amend it to work part time, but it should be as a salaried employee.


Ramasamy Krishnan
9801 Westheimer
Suite 302
Houston, TX 77042

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Ramasamy Krishnan


Immigration particularly business immigration and National Interest Waivers.


I have over 7 years of experience in all facets of immigration law. Specifically focusing on filing of National Interest Waivers (NIW), Alien of Extraordinary Ability and Outstanding Researchers/Professors petitions for Ph.D's and other advanced degree professionals. I have also assisted clients in numerous PERM, H-1b, L and other nonimmigrant visa applications. I am a partner at the law firm Ashley & Krishnan,

©2017 All rights reserved.