Immigration Issues/GC holder to live abroad

Question
My husband (who is American, and from Houston!)recently left for China to teach English for a 6 months. We are now thinking of me following there. It is temporary as we are keeping our house and other assets here in the US. Can a green card holder leave the country for a period of 6 months? If yes, do I need to do anything such as file papers to the INS?

Answer
It is fine for you to leave for six months, but be careful.  If you stay out more than one year without an advance parole reentry permit, you lose your GC.  Just make sure you return within 1 year of leaving.  If you think you might not be able to do so, apply for the Parole Reentry Permit BEFORE you leave.

Alexander J. Hay