You are here:

Immigration Issues/GC holder to live abroad


My husband (who is American, and from Houston!)recently left for China to teach English for a 6 months. We are now thinking of me following there. It is temporary as we are keeping our house and other assets here in the US. Can a green card holder leave the country for a period of 6 months? If yes, do I need to do anything such as file papers to the INS?

It is fine for you to leave for six months, but be careful.  If you stay out more than one year without an advance parole reentry permit, you lose your GC.  Just make sure you return within 1 year of leaving.  If you think you might not be able to do so, apply for the Parole Reentry Permit BEFORE you leave.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]