You are here:

Immigration Issues/Can a GC holder work outside of the US


Hello Alexander,
I just got a job, overseas in my home country but it requires me to be commuting 28/28 i.e 28 days in my home country working and 28 days in the US as time off with my family. I will be employed here in the US by a US company.
I'm just wandering if this is acceptable since I'm still a conditional green card holder. My salary will be paid into my US account here and I will aslo be paying US taxes. I'm still married to the US citizen that petitioned for me and still maintains my address in the US.
Is this practice allowed for one with conditional green card who just got it from marriage to a US citizen?
I'm really confused as to wheather to accept the job offer. The pay is also really good.


It shouldn't be a problem. Just remember the issue is to be able to prove the marriage is still valid.  Same mail, same address on driver's license, etc.  Just because you take a good job that requires you to travel should not change this if everything else remains the same.

Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Alexander J. Hay


I am a U.S. lawyer with offices in Houston, Texas and in Belize. I can answer questions on U.S. Immigration, U.S. corporate law, and Offshore Tax and Asset Planning.
If you are on an H or L visa I am NOT GOING TO ANSWER your questions since they are usually highly fact oriented, and also you have a company attorney handling the whole thing. Call your own attorney please! If you disregard this request, don't be surprised if I answer with "homework question".


I am a U.S. attorney with offices in the United States and Belize. I have experience helping to protect assets, reduce taxes, and improve investment performance by utilizing global investment techniques.

Harvard University, A.B. degree; University of Houston Law Center, J.D. Degree; Fulbright Scholar

©2017 All rights reserved.