Immigration Issues/Green card lottery

Question

Hello. I am graduate student with F1 visa expiring in August 2007. My husband was approved H1B visa in April 2007. and at the same time selected at Green Card Lottery for 2008. We were advised to start process from here. I have finished all my course work and have theses left to work on. I was told to register for half time in fall and spring to finish my thesis claiming that by doing so I will remain in my status no matter expiration of F1 visa. Is that correct? If my husband and I start with Green Lottery Process and I do not extend my F1 visa, am I allowed I to apply for Optional Practical Training in October 2007 and what my chances of getting it are? The layer we contacted told us that we have a plenty of time but I am concerned that we really need to act quickly. If you can refer me to some good layer who could handle our case and who works in Boston, I would appreciate that very much.

Thank you a lot.

Ana  

Answer
Ana:
To take a reduced course work you need permission of the International Students office at your educational institution. So check with them to make sure that your I-20/Sevis shows that you are in status.
As to extension of your F-1 visa, it is required that you been in status when you file your Adjustment of Status under the DV lottery.  I am not sure what you mean by plenty of time to do what?  Contact AILA  (American Immigration Lawyers Association) to refer you to a lawyer in the Boston area

All the best.

Ramasamy Krishnan
www.ashleykrishnan.com

Ramasamy Krishnan