Immigration Issues/Green card renewal

Question
Dear Robert

I am a 18 years old girl D.O.B 12-08-1985 and a permanent resident of United States of America since 1997 with Iranian originality. By last year, I duly submitted my green card to the immigration officer in charge in Baltimore on September 2002. I accomplished fingerprinting & pertaining formalities in order to get a new card.
They retained my old card & stamped my Iranian passport emphasizing that the latest time of reentry to USA will be expired on September 17th,2003.

Though I been told to receive the new card at most in 8 months, but I have not received it yet after passing 11 months.

I have two questions in this concern:
1- Do you see any problem in my green card renewal process? If so, why they didn't inform me so far ? I have contaced my immigration officer many times but no definite answer.

2- At the moment I reside in my country to visit my family from couple of weeks ago.
Is there any problem if I land on any US air borders after the A/M due date ? I mean are there any penalties for such a delay ?

Regards
Nazanin

P.S. stamped in the passport:
QUOTE
PROCESSED FOR I-551.
TEMPORARY EVIDENNCE OF LAWFUL ADMISSION FOR PERMANENT RESIDENCE VALID UNTIL SEPT 17,2003.
19-08-2002
UNQUOTE  

Answer
You must return before the stamp expires and receive a new stamp. If you stay out longer they may deny you entry, since you would not have proof of a valid stamp.

There is nothing worng with your renewal. They are doing extra security checks and things take longer. It is not unusual for someone to not receive their new card wwithin the year and to have to get new stamp.

Robert

Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>