Immigration Issues/H-1 Transfer

Question
I'm a physician currently working on H-1 visa for a private employer after getting J-1 waiver in 2004. When I applied for H1-B in 2004, I was not subject to cap because (although cap had already reached at that time).

My J-1 waiver will be getting over in August 2007. I'm thinking of moving to another state and planning to work in private practice setting by September 2007. I will be doing H-1 transfer at that time.

Will I be subject to cap at that time?

Thank you.

Answer

You will not be subject to the visa cap since you are no longer a J-1 nonimmigrant; you are an H-1B nonimmigrant. Therefore, this will be considered a regular "extension of H-1B status (through a new employer).

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora