Immigration Issues/H-1B NOT FOR PROFIT

Question
I WAS GOING TO START WORKING WITH A BIG FIRM ON AUGUST 2007, UNFORTUNATELY I WENT THROUGH A LOTTERY IN ORDER TO GET THE H-1 BUT IT DID NOT GO WELL. ANYWAY, MY QUESTION IS WHAT IF I START WORKING FOR A NOT FOR PROFIT, HOW LONG WOULD IT TAKE TO GET MY RESIDENCY? I KNOW I CANNOT WORK FOR A FOR PROFIT ORG BUT IS THERE ANOTHER DIFFERENCE COMPARING IT WITH A FOR PROFIT H1? I JUST DON'T KNOW REALLY HOW IT WORKS. THANKS

Answer

The non-profit would need to file an H-1B petition for you. Incidentally, not all non-profits are exempt from the visa cap. In order to be exempt, it should be affiliated with an educational institution, or a non-profit research organization.

The sponsorship process for the green card process is the same as for-profits: http://www.foreignlaborcert.doleta.gov/faqs.cfm

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.h1b1.com

Ajay K. Arora