Immigration Issues/H-1B

Question
Hi Ajay,

This is Sandra. I appreciate any advise I can get from you. I recently graduated from a graduate school on 05/2005. The followings are my situations:

1. I got a job offer before I graduated and my employer applied the H-1B for me. The lawyer got my approval notice on 04/15/2005 and the effective date is 10/01/2005. Yet, when the lawyer sent it to me, I didn't receive it. I lost it. But, the lawyer is going to apply for a duplicate one for me later.

2. I applied for the OPT and got my EAD on 06/01/2005 and the effective date is 06/30/2005. It will expire on 06/29/2006.

In addition, I went back to my country before I got my EAD(pending at that time) on 04/19/2005 but after I lost the approval notice. However, my advisor sent me my EAD and I received it on 06/01/2005. Thus, I was able to use the EAD and traveled back here on 06/20/2005 using my F-1 visa-OPT.

Now I have a question, I am a F-1 status now, but do I automatically change to a H-1B status on 10/01/2005? Or my H-1B won't be "activate" until I get the visa stamp in my country? (I am planning to go back after 04/15/2006)

Thank you for your attention and help.

Sandra

Answer
Hi Sandra,

If the H-1B approval notice has a I-94 attached to the bottom, which means that you were granted "change of status" to H-1B, then you will automatically be in H-1B status on October 01, 2005 and will therefore not have to travel to your country and enter on H-1B visa status in order to be in valid H-1B status.

Ajay K. Arora, Esq.
www.H1B1.com

Ajay K. Arora