Immigration Issues/H1-B to F-1?


I am from India and work in US on an H-1B visa. My employer has applied for my labor certification, which is currently pending for approval at the regional office. I plan to leave my job in the next few months and join an MBA program in US. Can I be granted an F-1 visa even though I've applied for labor certification and thus shown immigration intent?

If yes, do I have to leave US to apply for an F1 visa or can I get the visa while I am here in US?

Thanks in advance.

Technically  you can not get an F-1 because of your pending labor case. However, while the case is at the Labor Department and an I-140 has not been filed, Immigration does not know of your intent.

You do not have to leave the U.S. to apply for a change of status. Just file form I-539.

Leaving your employer may not be the best thing though. You have to make sure they will continue to sponsor you and can docuemtn that your services are needed.


Immigration Issues

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Robert Hollander<B> Esq.</B>



©2017 All rights reserved.